This functionality allows a content editor, using the AppManager rich text editor, to browse a specified set of SharePoint lists/libraries in the current site, select a list item, and have a link to that item be inserted into the current text area. This alleviates the need to separately browse the item to grab the link, then copy and paste the link into the editor. This is also consistent with the ability to browse for and insert an image into the content editor.
- Each AppManager Content App that supports the rich text editor functionality (CKEditor) supports this functionality
- The SharePoint lists/libraries to be browsed are set for each AppManager Content App independently
- As always, access to the items in the specified lists during browse should be governed by the SharePoint permissions
This document will provide an overview of the setup and use of the link and video insertion features.
Enabling Content Apps for Link/Video Insertion
Enabling an AppManager Content App for the insertion functionality is done through the Content App Settings screen in the section titled “Link Resources for Content Editor” :
Using this interface, one or more lists/libraries can be enabled for access in the selected Content App. To add a list/library for access:
- Access the Content Settings for the Content App in which you want to add the link selection
- In the section titled “Link Resources for Content Editor” use the drop down to Select the list you want to make accessible from within the content editor (all lists within the current site will be displayed for selection)
- Next, select the link type. Choices are “Link” which would apply to a list item, or “Video” which would apply to a video from a selected video library.
- If the selected list includes items that you want reference using a Friendly URL that is defined in the list, the “Friendly URL” column is used to select the list column that holds the Friendly URL. If no FriendlyURL is defined, then this is left to the “Default” setting which will use the standard list item URL.
- To configure additional lists for access in the Content App, click the “Add List” button to add another entry.
Inserting SharePoint Links in the Content App
To insert a SharePoint list item link in the Content App:
- Access the link insert dialog from the content editor by clicking on the button. The link dialog will open. Select the new “Link to SharePoint list item” option.
- The dialog will change to display the “Browse Server” button and the Name and URL fields for the link.
- Clicking on the “Browse” button will open the LinkPicker modal window. Displayed in the left pane will be the selection lists that are configured for this Content App. Clicking on a list in the left pane will display its content in the right pane for selection.
- Clicking on the item in the right pane and hitting “Save” will populate the URL in the link dialog box. If a name was also defined in the list for the item, the Name field will be populated as well. The Name field can be changed if the desired link name is different.
- Clicking “Ok” in the dialog box will close it and insert the link in the content editor
Inserting SharePoint Videos in the Content App
To insert a SharePoint hosted video in the Content App content editor:
- Access the link insert dialog from the content editor by clicking on the button. The video dialog will open.
- Clicking on the “Browse Server” button will open the Video Picker modal window. Displayed in the left pane will be the Video library(s) that are configured for this Content App. Clicking on a library in the left pane will display its content in the right pane for selection.
- Clicking on the item in the right pane and hitting “Save” will populate the URL in the Source Video field in the dialog box
- Clicking “Ok” in the dialog box will close it and insert the video in the content editor. The video frame can be dragged/dropped into different positions within the content area.
- When the item is previewed or published, the video will appear in the content area in an HTML5 player window